Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 20, 2013: I Love To Tell The Story

Since my kids have had concussions, I've heard so many more concussion stories. It's like everyone who has played a contact sport has had a concussion. Maybe there’s a little retrospective bragging going on – you know, “I was so tough I played five games in a row without ever once knowing the score, or even who I was playing for” – but you wouldn’t think so. Not these days.

This weekend I was talking to my brother about Andy and he told me his concussion story, which I had heard many years ago and forgot (because many years ago, who cared about concussion stories?).
He was in a boxing class at West Point – Kiefers have a history of getting kicked out of West Point – was matched against a 145-pound Boston-area Golden Gloves champ, and wound up in the base hospital for a week, counting bluebirds and butterflies.
My boss’ son was dropped on his head in a wrestling match. My old boss got a concussion when he was blindsided when he was playing linebacker for Stevens Point High. The neighbor girl headed a soccer ball. My youngest son’s friend has head three, one that came with a skull fracture. If we're not in the midst of a concussion epidemic, we're smack-dab in the middle of a lying-about-concussions epidemic.
Along with the concussion stories have come – I won’t call them angels for fear of being raided by the Cliché Police – buoys in a dark sea.
Andy’s coaches were remarkably understanding. Never once did they try to force him to play when he shouldn’t have played. (Of course, the fear of litigation impressed upon them by USA Hockey may have had something to do with it.) The same with Molly’s dance teacher, though that was to be expected. She didn’t get to be the National Dance Educator of the Year by being a blockhead.
Then there was my first roommate out of college. We shared the experience of getting kicked out of rental units in Knoxville, Tenn., in anticipation of a World’s Fair-fueled influx of tourists that never came. He found me after 30 years around the time of Andy's first concussion. It turned out he was living around Madison, and we made plans to vist during state hockey. Then the concussions came, and the gray fog, and the visit never was made. But he said he was praying for all of us nonetheless.
To all the people who volunteered to wrap our kids in bubble wrap, thanks. We get the joke and we'll take the bubble wrap, any time you want to pony up. Same for all of you who asked whether we beat our kids. (The answer is yes. I beat them in tennis and Ann beats them in math.) You meant well, give or take.
And then there was Rich. Things were really bad a couple weeks into Andy's first concussion. We didn't know what we were in for, so every day started optimistically and ended in a state of extreme panic. Approaching the end of my rope on one of those hard-time days, I sent an email to my friend Rich Diana, the former chief orthopedic surgeon of the Boston Red Sox, an ex-NFLer who played in a Super Bowl with the Miami Dolphins, a college-football hero at Yale (and the last Ivy Leaguer to finish in the top 10 in Heisman balloting), and a collaborator. He wrote an arthritis book; I edited it.
Dr. Rich came back with the message not to worry, that Andy's young, that he'll heal in a couple of months, it'll be no big deal long-term, and here's the supplements he should take to help the healing process. (I forgot to mention: He does a lot of research on inflammation and injury, and inflammation on chronic disease, and which supplements help with inflammation.)
It may not seem like much, but it was exactly the message I needed to hear at the time. Yes, you can do something, and here's what you do.
It was the certainty I needed, the certainty we've come to expect -- and demand -- from our doctors. (See "certainty, medicine and," previous entry.) Everything got a little easier after that, and even without taking the supplements Andy began to get better.
So there are buoys everywhere in this big, dark sea. We may be lost in a sea of head injuries, but we're nowhere near as lost as we might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment